Monday, March 9, 2009

That word (Malcolm X 4)

A popular complaint made by the African American race is the accusation that whites call them names that offend them greatly.  Popular words they accuse whites of calling them are "nigger, coons, etc." It is true that white people have called blacks these racial names and it is also true that it is unnecessary and vulgar.  However, in modern day more than ever before, blacks say these words more than whites and more than any other race.  They call each other these names and they even just say these words out loud during conversation even if they are not directed towards any specific people.  There are well thought out reasons for each side of this debate.  The blacks believe that they are are allowed to say the words as many times as they want because they are of that race, and it is not offensive if one of their own kind uses the words to describe themselves.  The whites believe that it does not matter who says the word, it is still equally offensive to the African American race no matter who says it.  Personally, I agree with the argument of the whites in this situation.  Some may agree with me and some may disagree with my choice, but my opinion is strong in this situation.  While I grant my full respect to all people of the African American race, I disagree with their side of the argument.  I believe that the words are still words and it does not matter what mouth they come out of.  It is just as offensive to blacks if a black person directs it towards another black person as if a white person directs it towards a black man.  Just because they are of that race, it does not give them the right to use the words to describe themselves, while all other people cannot use the words.  But to be perfectly clear, I do not think whites should be able to use the words either.  I believe that these words should not be thrown around so loosely.  African Americans make the argument that whites have pushed them away and they are responsible for racism and creating different divisions of human beings.  I believe that blacks are just as responsible when they use words like these and say that white people cannot use the words.  This makes it even more difficult to spread the important message that all people are equal and we are all the same person, no matter what color our skin is.  Blacks are just as guilty as whites in rejecting the unification of all humans.  The link is to a blog posted by a man that has evaluated the silliness of the situation as well.



http://www.laughatliberals.com/blog/archives/2008/the-nigger-trap/

2 comments:

Maddie said...

The whole black-people-can-say-it, but white-people-can’t thing is kind of exasperating. I don’t necessarily agree about the whole “ban the touchy word” part, though, because in a way that just buries tensions that are still there—although of course I’m not stupid enough to use it here. But I think open lines of communication are more important than tiptoeing around awkward subjects to be absolutely politically correct.

Maddie said...

I also kind of feel like that using the n-word amongst themselves gives some Africans a feeling of…power over the word, I guess, since it helped suppress them for so long and by using it they conquer the word. Not that I would know, being white. And not knowing many black people. Just speculating.