Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Blog Comments to Others

To Josh Kramer,

You make a really good point when you say that we should just ignore race.  It kind of makes me think of what the world would be like if everyone were blind or at least color-blind, so we could not tell the difference what color skin each human has.  This is not to say that this would cure all racial problems and would be the solution to racism, but the world might have been a completely different place if we were blind.  But it would be sure that the color of skin would never be an issue between people anymore.

 

To Yuma,

You are totally right with the laughter thing.  I agree with that completely.  It can solve anything and apparently its the best medicine.  In fact, I had a similar experience with my mom and I on something tiny that turned into a big deal.  After a while we managed to laugh off the tension when something amusing happened.  I can't remember what it was but that's not the point.  The point is you make a good point when you say "universal languages" because they are a way for people to communicate with each other that every person can understand.  I think this was a pretty creative topic to research.

 

To John,

I'm happy you learned more things in Harlem than I did because I do not remember most of the things Neil said to us.  The most interesting part of this blog is the information you found about Langston Hughes.  I never knew that he played a big part in the Harlem Renaissance.  I always saw him as some kind of geeky poet that loved writing and expressing his feelings on different topics, mostly about African Americans.  His contribution to the Harlem Renaissance makes me think of him in a totally different way and I'm glad you felt the need to research him and find out more about what he did in his life.

 

To Caylin,

I'm glad somebody looked this up because I was wondering when we went to Harlem why they used rugs instead of benches and were they specifically significant to the religion.  I hadn't thought about it too much but it all makes sense overall.  They want to look presentable for the creator of the earth so they clean themselves and kneel on a rug to stay clean.  I had an idea before reading your blog that this was true.  But I never would have guessed that they were pointed in the direction of Mecca when being used.  I'm glad somebody cleared this up because I was a little curious when we visited the mosque Malcolm went to in Harlem.  It was pretty interesting to learn this and apparently they have pretty good logic as to their reasons for using a rug.  I also wondered if the color of the rug was always the same, and if it was, if that was significant, but that's something I will have to look up myself if i get overly curious.

No comments: